Monday, September 29, 2014

top ten flies for trout in Colorado

Top ten flies for Colorado

No fly will guarantee fish but these give you the best shot



1. pheasant tail nymph

The Pheasant tail nymph has produced me more fish than any other fly.
I can use it in any river in Colorado and produce fish.  This fly is a quick
tie and it is most effective in size 16.



2. Parachute Adams
The Parachute Adams is my favorite dry fly.  The parachute Adams is easy to see and it floats
 relatively well.  This fly is effective in sizes 10-26, and can represent almost any hatch.
If you are a novice fly fisherman, this would be the fly to use.



3.  copper John

The copper John nymph is easily on the top ten list.  This nymph can represent everything
in the water.  The copper John sinks like a rock to where the fish feed.  The copper john
can be tied in all sorts of colors,  the most effective in Colorado being copper, orange, red, 
and black.  




4. Red egg fly
The Egg fly is undeniably effected against trout.  I prefer a rubber egg over a 
fuzz egg because a rubber egg will sink.  This fly is effective year round, but 
in Colorado,  This fly does the best during fall and spring months.  The egg fly is
 always in my fly box and it is one of my most used flies.  I found that the most effective
egg fly is a 6mm egg.



5.  mayhem emerger fly



This is quickly becoming one of my favorite mayfly imitations.  This is now my
go to fly when mayflies are hatching but the trout are picky.  The mayhem emerger
doesn't float but doesn't sink all the way down.  The strip of foam on top suspends 
the fly, and makes it look like an emerging mayfly.  This fly is best fished in red, olive, black or brown.  Fish the Mayhem in smaller sizes, such as 16-20.  



6.  San Juan worm.
The San Juan worm is a fly I cannot leave off this list.  The San Juan worm
is one of the best flies during Colorado's spring runoff.  I love using this fly in lakes and ponds 
because this fly gets such aggressive strikes.  This fly is best weighted with a bead
and in sizes 12-14.


7. zebra midge.
NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THIS FLY!!!  This is by far my
favorite midge imitation.  When all else fails, use this fly.  This is a year round 
fly, but is most effective during early spring, fall, and winter.  This is my favorite fly
to fish during winter because it produces results.  The zebra midge is best fished in 
sizes 18-26 using curved hooks.  This midge is seen in red, black, purple, and cream.  My 
favorite way to fish this is under a bobber in size 20, black.  



8. Elk hair caddis
Like many other anglers, this is my favorite caddis fly pattern.  The elk hair caddis 
fishing well whenever caddis are hatching (usually summer).  This caddis floats
well and is relatively easy to spot on the river. The Elk hair caddis works the best in sizes 
12-16 and in colors olive, black, and brown.  




9. Sculpzila
If you want to catch monster browns, there is no better way than to use
this fly.  I LOVE using streamers, and this is my favorite and most effective.  
It has excellent action when stripped through the water.  Its heavy cone-head 
causes this fly to sink quickly to the big fish.  This fly is a great attractor, and I often 
put a nymph or emerger above it.  Just recently, I caught a 24 inch brown on the 
south fork of the South Platte using this rig.  Fish this pattern in a jerk strip motion in a
a smaller size.  The best colors are white, black, olive, and grey.


10.  Mosquito fly
The Mosquito fly is a great dry fly because it represent 3 bug species at a time: a mayfly, 
a mosquito, and an adult midge.  This fly pattern can be used year round and is most 
effective in sizes 16-20.  If you let this fly sink, it represent a variety of emerging 
bugs.  This fly works great on high alpine lakes and smaller streams and rivers.




Honorable mentions:

Prince Nymph.  Although a great pattern, I find that it doesn't work as well on
small waters. Best in sizes 12-18

Hares Ear:  This fly is a great caddis imitation, but missed the cut because, from my experience, doesn't yield as many large fish. Best in sizes 14-18.

Woolly Bugger:  This fly pattern represents stoneflies and minnows, but in 
my opinion, if you want to go big, use a sculpzilla. Best in sizes 4-10, in the colors black, brown, or olive.


Feel free to post your favorite flies,  I might have missed one or two











No comments:

Post a Comment